Hi All,
Sorry to those I just added to my email list, but I actually have
been very bad at sending anything so you haven't missed much! Many of
you will be surprised to hear I'm in Laos and have been for about 3
weeks now. I was in China for about a month and then Vietnam ( mainly
Hanoi ) for a short while before coming to Laos. I actually bought a
second visa for Vietnam so am going back there soon to head south on
their coast now that I've decided to continue traveling past my return
flight. So Vietnam is next and then Cambodia and Thailand and then??? (
suggestions anyone).
I'm currently in Savanaket, Laos. Splitting a room with another
Canadian from Montreal. $10 ( / 2 ) gets some decent luxury ( after
an island with limited electricity and no hot water ). Watching the
stock market fall on tv last night and this morning.. not too surprised
but still a bit shocking none the less. I haven't watched TV much at
all since I started traveling... what a change!
Just had an "expensive" buffet... 35,000 kip ( about $4 ). Other
places have omelets for 7,000 kip, coffee for 3,000 kip etc etc. It's
easy to forget the translation to Cdn$ when you are paying thousands of
kip for something! On 4,000 islands I was paying 30,000 kip for a hut
on stilts with a mosquito net and short walk to shower/bathroom.
I never intended to spend this long in Laos! It's been a nice place in
many different ways.
I'm putting these and some other pictures up on flickr (I've had the
account a while.. now I'll use it I guess ;)
guest pass?? Try this out and let me know what you think:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/61421953@N00/51eb5Z
I've also got some pics from China at:
http://toozy.nfshost.com
Justin
ps Bathroom talk.. rant cut out from the above: ;)
Bathrooms here can be anything from a floor with raised foot stones (
and a hose to wash away the results ) to a squat toilet to a western
toilet and some of those are manual flush ( bucket and water scoop to
pour down the toilet to flush it ). So far I've been able to get a
western toilet although many with manual flush. Oh, no shower
curtains.. the whole bathroom floor drains and everything can get wet.
The whole toilet situation is pretty common everywhere I've been so far
although China tended to be much dirtier and you almost always had to
have your own toilet paper. Washing basins aren't a necessity it seems.
Vietnam and Laos are better for washing basins and even had a lot of
places where they had soap. It's best to forget about hygiene when you
have few choices in restaurants... although in China eating at
McDonald's has some real benefits with cleanliness!
No comments:
Post a Comment