Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hi From Chang Rai, Northern Thailand

Monday, May 12, 2008

Hi All

Just an update. I did a "border run" to Mayanmar to top up my Thai
visa as it was getting down to it's last week and Mayanmar was just too
close and convenient. I wasn't sure the border would be open and it was
actually closed a few days ago for their "vote" on the constituional
amendment to essentially embed the military rule into the constitution.
A Californian I met in between the two border posts compared Mayanmar
to Tijana and he and his cousin, as most others it seemed, pretty much
just stepped over and back. I walked around a bit ;) I was shocked
when a monk came out and scared away a bunch of women and children..
then pulled out a slingshot to make sure they got the message. He
didn't notice me until after and I sheepishly motioned for permission
to take a picture of the buildings and he gave me a big thumbs up...
until then I was still ready to run. Come to think of it I was still
ready to run in case it was all just a ploy to get me in closer...
those monks.... (!)

The scooter pictures are from Pai .. a magical place in N. Thailand; a
bit too magical for some. It's heyday as an opium center is long past
.. Laos and Cambodia have taken over as tourist centers for that ( and
no.. that's not why it took me so long to get through Laos and
Cambodia.. excellent tourists spots for many reasons ).


I'm off down to Bangkok and then on to S. Thailand next. It's supposed
to be raining a lot in the next while down there but I'll let you know
for sure.

Hey Bill.. it turns out losing your appetite in China and parts south
is a pretty good dieting technique.. I've lost over 20 lbs! oh,
reminds me.. one more picture to attach.. from an hour or two ago...
(my apologies to the dial up user.... )

Justin

No comments: