Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hong Kong - Dongguan

Thursday, January 24, 2008


I'm in Dongguan, just north of Hong Kong/ Macau and s.e. but close to Guangzhou. I just this second got back to my jj-inn (like a motel6) after visiting the largest mall in the world. I met a guy from Miami who pulled out his WEM hat when I said where I was from. He's here to help 'fix' this mall and has worked for triple5 in Edmonton. He's got a big job on his hands! Imagine wem but almost twice as big, with half the theme park outside.. then have only 4 or 5 stores open and a McDonalds, Pizzahut and California noodles open!!!!It was quite a sad sight ;)
I'm glad I stopped in as it wasn't too far out of my way. Hacking cough and all makes me want to find a warmer place to recover for a while. I'm travelling solo ( after all.. who else would really want to visit a huge mall??) and one friend is on the south China island.. planning to meet up soon before heading to Thailand. Other friend is already in Thailand.
Oh, I had stuck around Hong Kong and caught the last ferry to Macau two nights ago (23rd) so that I could catch the harbour light show .. sure glad I did... very cool coordination of lights on many buildings in Hong Kong. Lasers and spotlights too for a 15min show every night (that I seemed to miss the previous two nights).

No comments: