Friday, April 3, 2009

Sittin' with the Dali Lama in Macleod Gange

March 9 - 13
A French couple in Amritsar mentioned that now would be a
great time to visit Macleod Gange as the Dali Lama would be presenting a
teaching and it was also the 50th anniversary of the uprising and his
'move' to India. I took the bus with 3 Canadian women and one American
husband all the way to Macleod Gange. It was a great group and it's the
first time in a long time I've been around so many Canadians at once!
Two of the women and a German woman we met and I ended up hanging
around much of the next 3 days.
The Dali Lama's teaching was translated and broadcast to our fm
radios. He mentioned the Chinese rulers occasionally as examples of
those who lack qualities he was teaching. Security was quite high at
the event and we weren't allowed to bring cameras.. so I have a
picture from the next day inside the temple from where I was sitting
and where he was speaking ;) As an added complication it has "Holi" in
India. This is a celebration which involves bombarding people on the
street with bright dyes and water. A Japanese man walking between
myself and my American Friend was bombed from above with green dye on
the walk back from the teaching. I've heard that Holi is getting a bit
out of hand... seems so. I didn't get hit but did threaten some kids
the day before who were mobilizing early.
ps - writing this from all nighter in Dubai airport... half asleep :o

No comments: